Saturday, February 18, 2012

My Wonderful Husband, the A**hole


“The man I am married to now is an opinionated asshole who will never fail to let you know if you have done or said something stupid “ - I wrote this in a blog post the other day and I didn't elaborate on it enough for all of you to understand just what I actually meant by that statement. I think my husband is the most wonderful, loving, caring, giving, good-hearted man I have ever had the great fortune to know. I love him with every fiber of my heart and soul. But he is an asshole. He knows it, he even will admit to it on occasion, but he is NOT an asshole just for the sake of being a jerk. He is an asshole with a purpose.

My husband always tells it like he sees it. People do NOT like this, but he really doesn't care anymore. If you are acting like an idiot, he will tell you. Out loud, … to your face, … in public, … whether he has ever met you before or not. And he will not stop telling you why whatever you did or said was stupid until you either agree with him that it was stupid or you leave. It does not matter who you are, where you are, or what is going on at the time, if someone behaves rudely, stupidly, or otherwise inappropriately in front of him they will be given a lecture they will not soon forget. Never mind that some people might think that HE is the one being rude by drawing attention to the issue and calling them out on it, but again, he just doesn't care. For whatever reason, he has decided that it is his job in life to educate the ignorant, whether they like it or not, and there is no stopping him once he gets going.

Sometimes its funny to watch, sometimes it embarrasses me, but NEVER is it done with malice of intent. His heart is always absolutely in the right place, but other people tend not to be able to appreciate that fact at the time. He is really easy to get along with, just don't tell him the sky is green when he knows it is blue, and you will get along famously with him. But try to argue with him when you are in the wrong to start with, and he will not back down … ever. Well, except to me, but that is a different story.

If he is shown to be wrong, he will be the first to admit it and correct himself, but that doesn't happen very often as he won't usually argue about what he doesn't know about. He stands up for what he believes in and never fails to do what he thinks is the right thing to do. He may not always follow the social conventions of “polite behavior”, but somebody else always starts it. He never goes out looking for a confrontation, other people just have a way of doing stupid things that set him off. Yes, he can be difficult to live with at times, but then again so can I. That was my point the other day, that nobody is perfect. We all have our own faults, or own failings, our own idiosyncrasies, that is what makes us the unique and perfectly wonderful people that we are. I happen to love my “asshole” more than I ever knew was possible before I met him. And as much as he may occasionally embarrass me or piss me off, I am damn proud of him and very grateful to be married to him every single minute of every day.

No comments:

Post a Comment