Thursday, June 14, 2012

Easy Refrigerator Jam

 I made some of this last night using a quart of strawberries left in the freezer from last year.  I let them thaw in the bag and then just poured the liquid that was still in the bag right into the pan with the berries, but I dumped the liquid that was left in the bowl down the drain. 

It is not technically a "Vintage" Recipe, since I made this one up myself, but it is one of my favorites!



Easy Refrigerator Jam

1 quart cleaned berries
2/3 - 1 1/2 cups sugar (to taste)
1 tsp. lemon juice (I never used it for raspberry jam)
1 Tbsp. cornstarch (opt)

Dump the berries in a medium saucepan and crush well with a potato masher.  Add lemon juice, then sugar and cornstarch and mix well.  Cook over medium to medium-low heat for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.   Use hot as syrup on pancakes or allow too cool and refrigerate for jam.

All the other recipes that I have seen don't include the cornstarch, so apparently it may not be necessary, but I have always used it and have had pretty consistent positive results, so I keep using it. 

This makes a very lumpy jam, probably closer to "preserves" but that is what I like.  You can run it through a blender, food processor, or use a mixer and smooth out the texture if you prefer it that way.

 It will keep for 2-4 weeks in the refrigerator or can be frozen for longer storage.

No comments:

Post a Comment