Follow by Email

Saturday, June 29, 2013

To Dye Without Dying, That Is The General Goal

Hello there Internet People!  I was planning on skipping the Blogging again and going right to work on dyeing today, but Mother Nature had other plans for me apparently.  There is a massive thunderstorm going on outside right now, so going outside to dye is probably not a good idea.  This is one instance when dyeing could lead to dying!  Not a good idea.  So here I am ready to ramble away at all of you, my loss is your gain, I guess.

I did get to spend most of the day yesterday outside.  I am washing out the last of the fabrics and the skeins of embroidery floss now.  I tried some new experiments with the whole dyeing process yesterday, some were very successful, some not so much, but I learned some things and I had a lot of fun! This was my first try at dyeing threads, and I think they may turn out very nice, fingers crossed.  They look great right now, but they aren't done washing yet, so that could potentially change.

I have lots more fabric and about 150 more skeins of different threads to dye, now I just need Mother Nature and the rest of the world to cooperate so that I can get out there and dye them!  At the moment the weather forecast looks promising for tomorrow, but then they didn't mention this thunderstorm when I checked the forecast yesterday, so I don't have a lot of faith in the weather forecasters.  

I am still trying to decide on my plan B for today.  I pulled out all the art quilts that I have started but never finished and have been looking at them to see what I can do to get them completed.  I have one of a dragon that is almost done, it just needs a little extra embellishing, and a binding, so maybe I will work on that today.  It would probably be a good thing to have at least one finished Art Quilt if I am going to call myself an Art Quilter.  I know it has never stopped me before, but, still, it would be nice. 

Well, in the two hours since I started typing this post I did manage to get the threads all washed out.  They are now hanging up to dry and they are still lovely!  I am really impressed with the results, it almost makes the massive pain in the ass of setting it all up worthwhile.  Here, see for yourselves :


The second picture has a yellow cast to it, (and it is sideways) the towel is actually sort of white as shown in the first picture and the greens are much more vibrant.  Some day I will learn to take a decent picture, but until then, this is what we are stuck with.

Well, if I am ever going to get anything done today I need to sign out of here and get to it.  Until next time ...                              
                         
                          

No comments:

Post a Comment