Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Sensitivities vs Humor

I have been doing a lot of thinking lately.  I know, that's probably not a good thing, but I keep doing it anyway.  I have come to the conclusion that far too many people have become far too sensitive and have lost their sense of humor.  Now I know that poorly disguised bigotry has been perpetrated in the name of humor for generations, but that does not mean we have to lose our sense of humor! 

I really do try to be sensitive to other peoples feelings, and it really sucks.  Because I am a white woman, I am not "allowed" to post jokes that could be perceived as "racist", I accept that.  I don't like it, but I accept it.  It really bothers me that George Lopez, Carlos Mencia, and all of the other Hispanic-American or African-American  or ______________( insert any ethnicity except the Caucasian one here) comedians are allowed to make all the "racist" jokes they want, but because I am white, race is off limits.  But I do understand why, and I try to be sensitive.  I will not accept however that I have to edit every single freaking joke because somebody might take offense.  It has gotten beyond ridiculous.  I have had people tell me I shouldn't post this  joke or that silly picture because it is "anti-men" or "anti-women" or "anti-southerner" or "anti-______ (insert any other possible group of people here), bullshit!  If people really want to be that thin-skinned I am sorry for them, they have eliminated the joy from their lives and that is just sad.  But you will NOT take the joy from my life, and you will not stop me from trying to bring joy to those who understand that humor, even when it hits too close to home, is still humor.  If we lose the ability to laugh at ourselves, what do we have left?

As I have stated before, George Carlin is my hero, my idol, my reason for being who I am.  Carlin had a love of words that went beyond the average persons ability to comprehend.  I share that love.  There are no words that are off-limits to me, if they express what I am trying to express I will use them.  If someone is offended, I truly am sorry, that has NEVER been my intent!  But come on man, lets get real for a minute.  EVERY good joke is going to offend someone, if they want to be offended.  Does this mean we should outlaw comedy?  Is that really what we want to do?  I sure as Hell hope not, because without humor, we are all doomed.  If I gave up my ability to laugh at myself and the world that I live in, life would not be worth living.  Humor has literally saved my life, many times over. 

I suffered from chronic severe depression for  2 1/2 decades, the only thing that kept me going during that time was my sense of humor.  People like George Carlin gave me hope for a better future.  I knew if I could just keep laughing in the face of all that the world threw at me, I could make it through anything.  And I did, I made it out the other side of the darkness and have found the light that was inside me all of that time.  Now I hang that light out for all to see, in the hopes that I can help one person make it through one more day on their  journey towards the light inside them. 

I know I am going to offend people, whether I like it or not.  I loved George Carlin, and he offended me all the time!  I never agreed with everything he said, but I damn sure agree that he should have the right to say it!  In our attempts to be "civilized" and "protect the children" we have gone way too far in limiting the freedoms of other people to be who they are and say what they feel.  And now people seem hell bent on trying to take what little freedoms we have left away.  I am sorry but I for one cannot just sit idly by while the government and the whiney pussy ass morons try to take the best thing about our country away.   There may not  be much left of our "freedoms" in this country, but I am certainly not prepared to freely hand over the few we have left!

So today I fight for the freedom of humor!  I hope you will join with me in this fight, and if you cannot join us, at least get the Hell out of the way!  For when we lose the right to laugh at ourselves and others, we will truly be forever left in the darkness.

1 comment:

  1. Bravo! And I just came away from a fb page where someone had really got their panties in a bunch because an event was called 'Everyone's An Artist.' Seems that she farts higher than her nose and takes exception to everyone being an artist. Sheesh, go cut yer frikkin ear off then!

    "Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves, for they shall never cease to be amused"

    ReplyDelete