Friday, July 27, 2012

Respecting Religious Freedom vs Respecting Religious Beliefs

I want to start off today by saying Thank You to everyone who showed their support and appreciation for yesterday's blog post.  I was overwhelmed by the amount of love and positivity that almost everyone expressed.  I even want to Thank the one woman who got herself banned from my Facebook Page yesterday by responding negatively to that post.  She was kind enough to provide me with today's topic of discussion, and for that I am grateful!

This is gonna be another touchy subject for some of you, and I understand that so I will apologize in advance for any hurt feelings this may cause.  I am not trying to hurt anyone, I never do, but I am gonna say what I have to say anyway.  I am truly sorry if it hurts, but I am not sorry that I need to say it because I think it needs to be said.  That being said, in all of the words of support and agreement I received, there was one woman who felt the need to voice her displeasure with what I had written.  And she felt the need so strongly that she had to leave the same comment both here on the blog AND on the link on my Facebook page.  Now you all should know that Mother moderates EVERY comment ever made in both places, I am rather obsessive about it in fact.  And that NO comment that I don't like is ever going to be allowed to stay on MY page or MY blog.  I have always been very clear about this, it should not come as a surprise.

Anyway, this very upset woman was angry with Mother because she did not feel I showed proper respect to her "God" or her religious beliefs, and that I should be more respectful.  Ummmm, NO.  Sorry, but that is NEVER going to happen.  I absolutely, 100% support your right to believe whatever you want, to worship whatever "God" you want to worship.  More power to you, I support and respect that right wholeheartedly.  That does not mean I respect your religion, your "God" or those beliefs.  I don't.  And I won't.   I am not saying that what you believe is wrong, I am just saying that I, personally, think it is stupid.  That is just my opinion and it does not matter one hill of beans in the grand scheme of life so get over yourself.  You don't respect my beliefs, why the fuck do you think I should have to respect yours?

I have never tried to convince any of you that there is no "God", if you want to believe in such a thing, that's fine.  As long as it is making a positive affect (did I get it right this time Cousin Jennie? - I am trying) on your life, then I think that is wonderful for you.  Personally, I do not believe in any "God", and having read the entire bible cover to cover I have to say that if I did believe he existed, I would think he is an asshole.  Again this is just MY opinion and it has nothing to do with the price of tea in China so if I am "going to Hell" for it, fine.  I spent ten years living in my own Hell when I was married to my ex-husband, so your "fire and brimstone" sounds like a vacation package in comparison.  Bring it on.

My respecting your religious freedom does not equal my respecting your religious beliefs, anymore than you respect mine.  We can agree to disagree, and go on peacefully co-existing forever as far as I am concerned.  If you don't like my thoughts and beliefs on the subject all you have to do is not read them.  That seems pretty simple.  Its not like I am out writing laws that say everyone must be taught to believe as I do.  I think the world would be a better place if they did, but I am not trying to force anyone to do so.  You are NOT respecting my beliefs when you say that "gay" people are unworthy of the same rights as straight people.  You are NOT respecting my beliefs when you try to have your religion taught in public schools or the commandments being displayed on public property.  You are NOT respecting my beliefs when you try to legislate what I can or cannot do with or to my own body.  You are NOT respecting my beliefs when you tell me I should be "killed" or "rot in Hell" because I believe differently than you, why in the world would you expect me to show any respect for your beliefs?  Seriously?  Can you not see how ridiculous you sound?

Unlike so many people these days I do take the few "freedoms" we have left very seriously.  I am a firm supporter of the Constitution of the United States (and yes I have read that too!) and I will defend to my death your right to say what you want, think what you want, believe what you want, and worship (or not) as you want, just not in my house - okay?  This is MY Home, I did not come to your house uninvited and shove my beliefs down your throat.  If you are reading these words YOU came to MY house to read them.  I am not forcing you to be here, you are a guest in MY home, act like it!

5 comments:

  1. I completely, and totally agree with everything you've said above. And I'm a Christian.

    I'd simply like to point out that the fire and brimstone Bible thumping, Gay bashing, bigoted, hate mongers are NOT Christians.

    They are plain old bastards, and they are the ones who've misinterpreted the Bible for their own ends, and smeared the entire Christian community with them.

    Not all of us are like that- and I know just as many people who are bigoted against Christians because of those Bible thumpers.

    Just sayin'- Bigotry is bigotry, regardless of what someone believes....(And having said that, I wasn't accusing you of bigotry)

    ReplyDelete
  2. very well said.i would have been much less diplomatic.my friends tell me i am waaaaay to blunt.i say tuff shit.love me or leave me as i am.

    ReplyDelete
  3. very well said.

    I am actually married to a jehovah's witness and i happen to be an atheist. if he and i can coexist and still love each other eventho we have VERY different beliefs then anyone can do it.

    ReplyDelete