Thursday, November 10, 2011

Balance

I am forever searching for balance in my daily life. You may have noticed by now that I am easily distracted, but I am also obsessive-compulsive. This leads to a lot of internal conflict as you may imagine. I think I do a pretty good job of keeping the obsessive-compulsive part in check, most of the time. Except when it comes to my hobbies, then I tend to go overboard a lot more than I probably should.

I have been working for Father the past few days, doing the computer grunt work that he doesn't have time for, and I find it difficult to do anything else until its all done. Of course this does not work in my favor as Father will invariably have another task awaiting me when I finish this one. So I usually work like crazy on his stuff for a few days, then I get bored and screw around for days on end doing the things I want to do (but that generally do not result in anybody giving us money). This has a tendency to lead to conflicts. Father has learned that there is not much he can do about it, yelling at me will just ensure it doesn't get done for that much longer. He tried guilting me into it, but since I am the Guilt-trip Queen, he didn't stand a chance. So he learned that a few gentle reminders are about the best he can do to get me back to work. That, or bribery, bribery works really well for him.

I am spoiled rotten, you should probably know that, I was the only daughter, the baby and my youngest brother is almost 8 years my senior. So I got spoiled as a child, and I never really got over it. Now, don't get me wrong, I am not adverse to work, I like working, but one can only take so many hours of repetitive mind-numbing tasks on the computer before ones brain is fried. Well, I don't know about anybody else, but I certainly have limits to my endurance.

So everything in my life is pretty much done in fits and spurts. I will work obsessively on one thing for however long I can, and then I have to do something else. I usually do come back and finish what I started, well, at least 75% of the time anyway. But I would like to be able to allocate my time better. I waste more time deciding what I want to do next than most of my projects actually take. I have lists of projects I need or want to do that are longer than the expected lifespan of our Universe, I do not have time to be indecisive. Of course, I do not have time to write a blog either, but here I am. And that's probably the worst of it, I have way too many things to do already, so what do I do, find a new hobby! I Love my hobbies, they help make life worth living, but I really do have way too many of them, and I keep adding more. The last two years I have spent every free minute on quilts, making them, designing them, photographing them, living and breathing quilts basically, then this Summer I discovered dyeing and painting fabric and now I am learning screen printing as well. So since I had nothing better to do (cough cough) here I am writing a blog.

I did mention I am a little crazy right?

No comments:

Post a Comment