Sunday, November 27, 2011

Holidays

Well Thanksgiving has come and gone with no major issues between my Husband and my Father. It was actually a very pleasant afternoon for the most part. I got to show off my latest quilts to my most appreciative audience (my parents really do appreciate my quilting probably more than anyone else I know) the boys got to show off how smart they are, and Father got to show off his excellent cooking skills. I Love my parents dearly, but the tension when they visit is usually thick enough to be cut with a knife.

We live less than 5 miles apart, but we only see each other half a dozen times a year. They have no real interest in being involved in the lives of their Grandkids, which makes me sad. One of the most important relationships I had as a kid was with my Grandmother. She was a cantankerous old bitch, but she and Grandpa always had time for me and made me feel special and important. I could not wait to go to my Grandparent's house when I was a kid. My kids will never know the kind of closeness I had with my Grandparents, and that is sad. My parents just don't like kids, I think. They won't come out and say it, but they have never had any interest in spending time with any of their Grandkids, until they are adults, or at least close to it. My oldest son is probably the one Grandchild they spent the most time with as a child, but most of that wasn't by their choice.

But once the dinner was over and the dessert had been served, my folks went home and we were able to enjoy a nice quite weekend at home in a clean house with plenty of leftovers. So in the end, the four days of house cleaning and cooking turned out to be worth the investment.

No comments:

Post a Comment