Friday, March 9, 2012

A Corn Bread Ditty

Today I found a cute little ditty about cornbread that I thought was fun.  I also wrote out my interpretation which makes a pretty tasty treat with some good chili or beans.


CORN BREAD.
Two cups Indian; one cup wheat;
One cup sour milk; one cup sweet;
One good egg that well you beat;
One-half cup molasses, too;
One-half cup sugar add thereto,
With one spoon butter, new,
Salt and soda each a teaspoon.
Mix up quick and bake it soon;
Then you'll have corn bread complete,
Best of all corn bread you meet.


My interpretation:
2 c. Corn meal
1 c. flour
2 c. milk (I add 1 TBSP vinegar or lemon juice for the soured milk part)
1 egg, beaten
1/2 c. molasses
1/2 c. sugar
1 TBSP butter
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda

Mix dry ingredients well, cut in the butter, and then stir in the milk and egg until just blended.
Pour into greased 9" square pan and bake at 400 degreees for about 30 minutes or until
a toothpick poked in the center comes out clean.


Now my Dear husband likes to add creamed corn and replace 1 c. of milk and the vinegar with sour cream. 
So there is something else you can try.

No comments:

Post a Comment