Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Grandma's Chicken Soup


This is what I am making for dinner tonight!  I don't actually have a written recipe, I learned it from my Mother who learned it from her Mother as it is with most of my dinner recipes.  So I am writing it up from memory as I make it, as a result all measurements are guestimates and are not guaranteed for accuracy.  The amounts aren't really important in most of my dinner recipes because I scale them up and down depending on who I am cooking for, cooking is more a matter of proportions in my family, I seldom measure anything if I don't have to! 


Grandma's Chicken Soup

1 1/2  c. chicken breasts, cubed
1-2 Tbsp. Cooking oil or shortening
½ c. onion, chopped
1 tsp. chopped garlic
chicken stock, chicken broth, or chicken bouillon
1 c. carrots, peeled and sliced
¾ c. celery, sliced
2- 3 bay leaves (opt., remove before serving)
1/2 tsp.pepper
1/2 tsp.oregano
1/2 tsp.basil
1 tsp. rosemary, crushed
1 tsp. thyme, crushed
4 c, potatoes, peeled and cubed


Saute chicken breast cubes in oil over medium high heat in the bottom of a dutch oven or other deep pan, stirring frequently until golden brown, add onions and garlic when the chicken is about halfway done. When chicken is cooked, add carrots and celery to pan and then add chicken stock and water to fill the pan to cover all, plus an inch or two more. And herbs and spices, bring to boil, then cover and simmer over low heat about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add potatoes, and continue to simmer for about 30 more minutes more, or until vegetables are soft. Serve hot with homemade bread.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you I'll make it tonite for my cold :0)

    ReplyDelete