Thursday, March 22, 2012

Fried Rice

I made this for dinner last night, but by the time I finished typing out the recipe and cleaning up the kitchen I didn't get a chance to post the recipe for you.  I originally learned to make this from one of my ex-sister-in-laws when I was a teenager  She was from the Philippines and her version was a little different as I am sure I have "Americanized" it over the years.  Its really good with some sauteed mushrooms thrown in there too, but my husband won't eat them.


Fried Rice

3 c. cooked rice
1 stick (½ c.). Butter or margarine
1 c. sliced carrots
¾ c. sliced celery
1/8 c. Soy Sauce
1 c. chopped bell pepper (the more colors the better!)
1 bunch green onions, cleaned and chopped.
2 c. chopped cooked ham, chicken or steak
6 eggs


Fry cooked rice in 3 Tbsp, butter in a very large frying pan over med-low heat about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Meanwhile, saute carrots and celery in a separate small frying pan in 1-2 Tbsp. Butter over med-low heat until tender, adding small amounts of water as needed to keep from burning. Add soy sauce to rice, stir well and continue frying over low heat while other ingredients cook. When carrots are tender add to rice in large pan. Add meat to rice and stir well. Fry be1l peppers and green onions in 2 Tbsp. Butter until softened, add to rice, stir well. Scramble eggs and fry until well done, stir into rice mixture and continue frying over low heat for 5 minutes.  Serve hot with additional soy sauce to taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment