Sunday, January 27, 2013

Taming the Hoards

Hello Internet People!  Yes, I am still alive.  Apparently I just needed to take some time away from the world for a while, and that is just what I did.  For the past couple of weeks I have been lost in my own thoughts. In my last post I said I was going to go read some books to try to find some new inspirations, and that is just what I did.  Well, that, and a lot of cleaning and re-organizing.    

So, now all of my fabrics are once again organized by color and theme, and most of the ones I hope to use in my Art quilting are now inside the house, and almost easily accessible. I still have tons of embellishments and crap to go through, but I am making progress.  For a couple of days there my house was looking rather "Hoarder-esque", with stacks of boxes and piles of stuff everywhere with only small pathways to walk between them.  It is starting to get back to normal (which is to say, the hoards are less obvious), but there is still much to be done.

I did find some inspiration for a new project as well.  It is actually an amalgamation of several projects and ideas I was looking at, and I am really excited to give this a go. I am a great fan of three dimensional applique, where the objects stand out away from the background, and I have been trying for years to wrap my head around how I could do something like that.  I think I have it figured out.  I am still in the development stages, but I really think this might just work.  My test subject is a butterfly.  I have the pattern pieces ready, so hopefully, if this works the way I have envisioned, I will have pictures for you in a few days.  

But the biggest reason I have not been posting here, or even very much on Facebook recently is that I have another new idea that I am kicking around in my head.  One for which I do not have all of the necessary supplies already on hand. (The Horrors!)  So, I am now fight an overwhelming compulsion to go shopping!  Since I seldom leave the house, I do a lot of my shopping online.  So, if I stay away from the computer, I am far less likely to spend any money.  And since I really don't have any money to spend at the moment, I have been avoiding the computers as much as possible.

I am not sure if I can explain this other new project idea to those of you who have never seen it before, I have been looking at it for two years and I am just now starting to figure out how it works.  Basically the idea is to take ribbons, strings, yarns, and other fibers and create a new fabric from them.  Its not weaving, the fibers are held together with stitches.  I have some ideas I want to play around with, but I need fibers to work with.  Now I have found lots of places online where I can buy all kinds of beautiful fibers and stuff to use, but they all want actual money for the shit.  I am thinking a visit to a few of the area thrift stores might be more cost effective for sourcing the supplies I want.  So I am trying to push this project to a back corner of my head for a while until I can get out and have a look around at what might be available on the cheap as it were.

For now I am going to go try to figure out how to put this Butterfly together with the least amount of heartache and frustration.  If I am successful, I will return with pictures.  If I am not successful, I will probably return with a whole new project in mind.  


                                 
                                 

No comments:

Post a Comment