Friday, December 7, 2012

Mother's New Pants Redux

Hello again Internet People!  Mother is back again at the end of another long and fairly productive day.  I did make me another pair of those comfy warm quilty pants today (these even have pockets!), and I put the binding on another quilt so it is also finished now.  And I even put in a few hours working for my husband this morning!  I am almost halfway through round three now!  Yippeee Yahooie!

Anyway, I am getting stuff done which is helping me put thoughts of that freaking holiday out of my head at least for a little while.  And I am staying warm for the first time since September, so that is freaking awesome!  I downloaded a pattern for some slippers I found online that I think I can work with, and I found the slipper gripper fabric that I bought 20 years ago and never used.  I think it is time to fucking use that shit!  I have a lot of things like that.  Supplies that I bought decades ago, that I have hauled around through at least 12 different moves, many of which are still unopened in their original packaging! 

I am a collector of supplies and patterns.  Hoarder might be a more accurate description if I was being honest here, but we will stick with collector.  I have enough scrap booking supplies and papers to make more than 100 scrap books.  I haven't touched 95% of it, other than to pack and unpack it to move, in the last 7 years. And No, I could not sell it to someone who might actually use it, because then I would not have it anymore, and then I would need it.  This may be where that "crazy" thing I talk about fits in again, but one can never really be sure.

I have this issue with my creative pursuits, when I want to make something, I want to make it NOW.  I do not have time to wait until I can go to the store and buy the stuff to make it, so I need to have every possible supply I could ever conceivably require, here and available whenever the urge may strike.  And this goes for every possible creative pursuit I have ever had.  I think it all goes back to when I decided to learn to sew.

I had been doing hand embroidery since I was around 8 years old, but I hadn't done a whole lot of actual sewing until my first child was born.  I wanted to make clothes and toys for him, but I didn't have any fabric in my house.  I ended up cutting up some of my old clothes and using the fabric from them to make the first things for my son.  I guess that may be part of why I have always had this need to have plenty of supplies, I don't ever want to be caught without whatever the hell I need to do whatever the hell I want to do again.  The obsessive/compulsive thing is just an added bonus.                   
For now I think I will head off to bed and try to figure out what other supplies I can use up tomorrow.  I am sure there are more than a few out there calling my name.  Until next time here is a picture of my newest Awesome Warm Comfy Pants to tied you over ...       

No comments:

Post a Comment