Monday, May 27, 2013

Too Much Stuff Is Never Enough

Hello again Internet People!  Well, I almost finished packing up everything in the sewing room, and now my husband has decided he doesn't want to use the space after all.  UGH!  It really is okay, I had planned on packing most of it up anyway to use the room for storage rather than working, but I wasn't in a hurry for that!  Oh well, at least everything is organized and labeled, now it will be much easier to stack everything in an organized and accessible manner, I hope.     

The truth is I just have too much stuff.  Unfortunately this does not prevent me in the least from wanting more stuff.  90% of my belongings are art and craft supplies and tools, and I only have about 10% of the tools and supplies that I want!  And, to make things worse, I keep coming up with more new hobbies to try, all of which require their own sets of tools and supplies.  I really should stop doing that, but that ain't going to happen.

Thank goodness I am poor.  If I had money to spend there would not be room left for people in my house.  Of course if we had more money we would probably have a bigger house, but I would fill that up too.  For a person who is perfectly content making due with what she has, there sure is a lot of stuff out there that I still want.  Every time I think I have every thing my heart could desire somebody makes a new product or introduces me to a new hobby and opens the door on a whole new line of stuff that I have to have. 

 Like those damn silk threads, for 45 years I had no idea how overwhelmingly addictive sewing with silk could be.  Now, I HAVE to get every damn color of silk thread I can get my hands on, and somehow I get the feeling that I am going to end up dyeing silk threads in the future to get the colors I want!  I really do not want to dye threads, it does not sound like fun to me, but I know I will end up doing it anyway, eventually, because I will decide I need a color that does not exist otherwise and I won't be able to live without it.

I have mentioned before that I am just a little beyond crazy, right?  My latest obsession is with fibers.  I am just getting started but I can tell already this is going to be the most obsessively ridiculous collection ever.  I am trying really hard not to go overboard with it, but it is driving me even crazier wanting all of these threads and yarns and rovings and fibers that I really shouldn't be spending money on right now.  I NEED them, ALL of them.  The fact that I have no idea what the hell I would do with all of them is completely and totally irrelevant.  I NEED to have them NOW in the event that I do someday figure out why.  I still have supplies that I bought 25 years ago that I haven't figured out what to use them for, but I had to have them at the time, and I have to keep them until the perfect project presents itself for their use.

I guess I take that old Boy Scout motto to the extreme when it comes to my hobbies, you know, "be prepared".  I know that if I get an inspiration to create something I have to have all of the necessary supplies available to me immediately.  I cannot wait for a trip to the store, I need to have it NOW!  So I have made an effort to have every item I could possibly ever want to use already on hand.  Which is why I have so much damn stuff.      

Well, I guess I better get out of here and get to work on something today.  Maybe I will even use some of that stuff I have been packing around for the last three decades.  Until next time:                                
 

No comments:

Post a Comment