Saturday, May 4, 2013

Thoughts On Going Overboard

Hello again Internet People!  It is a beautiful Saturday here in my neck of the woods and I am sitting here debating whether or not I will make it outside to work in the flower beds, or just stay here on my bed making flowers.  I have the first three blooms sewn into the basket, but I had to redesign several other flowers (again) so progress has slowed to a crawl while I take the time to hand embroider all the Crocuses and the Pansies.  I finished the first crocus last night and I must say it looks much better than any of my previous attempts at making it work in applique.  I am  embroidering the single flowers on a base fabric and then I will applique the finished flowers into the basket.  That was the easiest way I could figure out to make them work right, and so far so good. 

I went and did something this week that I probably shouldn't have done, and I have a feeling that it is going to throw a monkey wrench into my plans of cleaning out those flowers beds outside.  I bought myself another bolt of fabric and restocked my dye supplies so now I will have that as yet another thing to do outside, besides the work I should be doing.  I love to work outside when the weather cooperates, and I even love to play in my gardens, but I love sewing and dyeing far more.  If we could put in a real garden here I would probably have a lot more incentive to take care of it, I do pretty well when I go way overboard.  But we just have perennial beds of flowers and fruits, and since they don't require much care, they don't get much care.  I am really weird that way, I will accomplish far more when I have way too much to do than I ever could imagine doing when I don't have to do it. Does that make sense to anyone but me? Probably not.

I guess it is, in part at least, because I get bored easily.  I need variety and challenges in order to function at 100% capacity.  If I just have a little work to do on this project, it is much easier to put it off or not give it the attention it deserves because it will be done too quickly and then I will have to find something else to do.  On the other hand, if I have 100 things to do on this project, I need to get working on at least one, preferably 5 or 6, thing(s) right NOW!  There is too much to do to put it off, I must get busy! Of course, I do have times when I get overwhelmed by all the things that need to be done for that project, and sometimes that is as paralyzing as not having anything to do, but it is much easier to get back to work when there is still much work to be done.

Its funny, looking back at my life and realizing how true this is for me.  And realizing that no one else ever picked up on this, (including me) before now.  I guess it goes to show how people only see what they want to see, in themselves, and in others.  As I sit here thinking about this realization it occurs to me that, if channeled correctly, this trait can be a huge asset for me.  

Understanding how we work, and why we work they way we do, can enable us to focus our energies in more productive ways, at least that has always been my thought.  I know I have lots of dysfunctions, my goal has always been to make them work for me, rather than trying to overcome them, and I see this dysfunction as being particularly useful, if applied correctly.  

Well, the wind is blowing like crazy now, so I am thinking I will not make it outside to play today, so I guess I better get busy working inside.  I have flowers to create, and I need to do the laundry and clean the kitchen.  I better get to work, since I have lots of work to do...  Until next time ...

No comments:

Post a Comment